LIVE in THE SPOTLIGHT
- How to practice: exploring strategies and tactics in an aging body through book reviews, interviews, personal anecdotes, with the goal of staying happy, healthy and focused.
- Attitude: what it is a good attitude, how does helps us to learn and persevere, which daily tactics help us to acquire or keep a good one, what to do if yours needs a tune up?
- Metacognition: what it is, what it can teach us about learning, resources for study, conferences, and in practice.
- Intrinsic motivation: what it is, how it helps us to learn and persevere as we age, how to help those we mentor with theirs.
Most of us need a reason to practice: David Story, musician
· Self-respect: we are musicians, musicians practice, it's what we do. Feeling unmotivated? Join a new band, find a practice partner, volunteer at the local school to help the jazz band, or even better offer to start and run one as a volunteer. I know about this, I did it for over 20 years at Westdale high school in Hamilton, Ontario
· Identity: Keith Richards said in an interview years ago, something to this effect. "A guy may not have gigged in years, but every Saturday afternoon he feels like packing up his gear and putting it in the car".
· Self-esteem: Like fitness, starting can be hard, but afterwards bliss.
Check out James Clear's short essay on deliberate practice. Short cut to practice joy and mindfulness at the instrument.
David Story: Professional pianist, drummer, composer, and educator. Well into his 4th enthusiastic musical decade, David works with adults pursuing musical dreams in the autumn of life, while he maintains an active presence in the Toronto arts scene.