LIVE in THE SPOTLIGHT
- How to practice: exploring strategies and tactics in an aging body through book reviews, interviews, personal anecdotes, with the goal of staying happy, healthy and focused.
- Attitude: what it is a good attitude, how does helps us to learn and persevere, which daily tactics help us to acquire or keep a good one, what to do if yours needs a tune up?
- Metacognition: what it is, what it can teach us about learning, resources for study, conferences, and in practice.
- Intrinsic motivation: what it is, how it helps us to learn and persevere as we age, how to help those we mentor with theirs.
I'm seven years in. Here is what I learned from the experience.
From my facebook post of Sunday night.
"Played a show tonight with Glen Hall and Diane Roblin as a drummer. It has been an interesting journey taking up this instrument and progressing to the point where I'm welcomed to join in. This ongoing experience of learning has reinforced the obvious.
1. Start with desire. "Without desire you have nothing" Nadia Boulanger
2. Get a great teacher. Thank you Terry Clarke, Paul DeLong, Gregory Hutchinson, and Kevin Dempsey.
3. Make time to practice.
4. Get out there and play."
To which I'd add, "screw fear".
David Story: Professional pianist, drummer, composer, and educator. Well into his 4th enthusiastic musical decade, David works with adults pursuing musical dreams in the autumn of life, while he maintains an active presence in the Toronto arts scene.