LIVE in THE SPOTLIGHT
- How to practice: exploring strategies and tactics in an aging body through book reviews, interviews, personal anecdotes, with the goal of staying happy, healthy and focused.
- Attitude: what it is a good attitude, how does helps us to learn and persevere, which daily tactics help us to acquire or keep a good one, what to do if yours needs a tune up?
- Metacognition: what it is, what it can teach us about learning, resources for study, conferences, and in practice.
- Intrinsic motivation: what it is, how it helps us to learn and persevere as we age, how to help those we mentor with theirs.
In the past couple of weeks, I found myself in situations where I didn't know what the hell was going on, I was way over my head, and/or I didn't give a tinker's damn.
1. Jam session: A younger musician, though by no means a kid, plays the "Dilla Beat" behind his jazz singing wife. At least I knew what he was playing, having recently checked out the roots of this beat in Detroit Hip Hop of late last century, this jazz musician was intrigued, but not overwhelmed. Take a listen.
2. Piano workshop with young kids. The teacher asked ahead of time if I knew some current tunes. She named the titles. I hadn't a clue. I did some research and all went well. But, I had never heard of some of these tunes. A clear case of not knowing you don't know.
3. Our classic rock rehearsal band starts playing "metal". The guitarist hands me double bass drum pedals. Ooooooooboy. What the heck are these things for? It gets better. He books us at an outdoor street festival in June.
What to do?
Strategy one: Don't give a hoot. Complain loudly that that isn't music and take a seat at the table of cranky old farts.
Strategy two: Dilla, I'm not sure where I stand here. I'm checking it out. It sounds cool, but I've got to admit it isn't singing my song. Current pop tunes, I'll ask my students their favs. Maybe we can dedicate the month of June to Pop music of their choice. Double bass pedals? I found a drummer who will teach and coach me to be ready for the June festival. Rock on baby!
David Story: Professional pianist, drummer, composer, and educator. Well into his 4th enthusiastic musical decade, David works with adults pursuing musical dreams in the autumn of life, while he maintains an active presence in the Toronto arts scene.