LIVE in THE SPOTLIGHT
- How to practice: exploring strategies and tactics in an aging body through book reviews, interviews, personal anecdotes, with the goal of staying happy, healthy and focused.
- Attitude: what it is a good attitude, how does helps us to learn and persevere, which daily tactics help us to acquire or keep a good one, what to do if yours needs a tune up?
- Metacognition: what it is, what it can teach us about learning, resources for study, conferences, and in practice.
- Intrinsic motivation: what it is, how it helps us to learn and persevere as we age, how to help those we mentor with theirs.
4.5 hours a day watching TV
1. 4 hours a day staring at media on our phones
It gets worse. According to CNN we spend upward of 50 hours of the 58 hours the average person has available for leisure, staring at some kind of damn screen watching/listening/and doing god knows what. That leaves very little for practicing our instruments, jamming, making music and having fun.
Get all the depressing news here. CNN report.
The solution is obvious.
Getting old can suck. Arthritis can sideline anyone. But my 77 year old student found out there are some work arounds that keep her in the music game.
She started a webpage of original arrangements of folksongs from her home country of Scotland. She has learned to score the music in finale, create mp3 files, print the pdfs, and put it all together in a lovely website. It's a busy site with hundreds of downloads a week of her easy piano arrangements. She is having a ball. Each week at lessons she has a few new arrangements for class. We review, I suggest, she updates the files and presto up they go.
My wife, who has taken up the fiddle in her 60's, is enjoying playing some of the melodies.
What a great example of "staying in the game".
David Story: Professional pianist, drummer, composer, and educator. Well into his 4th enthusiastic musical decade, David works with adults pursuing musical dreams in the autumn of life, while he maintains an active presence in the Toronto arts scene.